Crispy Honey Chicken

I have recently found a new blog that I love.  This girl is after my own heart.  The first thing after the title of her blog is "Where Gluttony Meets Fitness".  Is this where I say, "You had me at hello"?  Her recipes are wholesome and (most) are fairly healthful.  She's extremely entertaining, and as much as I want you to read my blog, I think you should check her and her recipes out (see following link).

This Crispy Honey Chicken is the first of hers I decided to try.  As usual, I have changed the recipe so much from it's original state that I can say what I made is based on her recipe, and is not actually what she has posted.  You can find her original recipe (along with her amusing anecdotes): here

I will make this recipe again, as my family went wild over it.  The best part is that you can change it up with different vegetables each time so that you have a different meal every time you make it.  This is how I made mine.


Carrots, meet Broccoli.



Excess oil on the chicken is no match for my paper towels!




Carrots and Broccoli meet Mushrooms.



Slivered Almonds, ready for toasting!  Did you know you can toast nuts in the microwave?  Cool, right?




Ready to go, without the toasted almonds.



And with the toasted almonds (for me!)


1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders, cut into thirds
2 egg whites
1/3 cup cornstarch (or flour – for dredging)
1 cup broccoli florets
1 1/2 c baby carrots, sliced lengthwise
1 can mushrooms, drained
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
salt and pepper to taste
1 c slivered almonds, toasted, if desired*

Prepare and slice all veggies. In 2 separate bowls, add the egg whites (lightly beaten) and the cornstarch or flour.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add veggies, including mushrooms, with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add in soy sauce and garlic and stir so veggies are coated, about 60 seconds. Remove from skillet and set aside in a bowl.

Cut chicken and season with salt and pepper. Heat the same skillet over medium-high heat and add remaining olive oil. Dip chicken pieces in egg whites and then lightly dredge in cornstarch. Add to the skillet and let brown for 2-3 minutes, then flip (repeat if necessary, make sure your chicken is cooked through!) Continue with remaining chicken pieces, and do so in batches if needed.

Once chicken is cooked, add veggies back in the skillet. Add honey and thoroughly mix to combine. Taste and season with salt, pepper, additional honey or soy sauce. Sprinkle toasted almonds over top.  Serve with orzo pasta or rice.

*To toast nuts in the microwave:  Place a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate.  Add nuts in a single layer.  Pop in microwave for 1 minute.  Remove and stir.  Return to microwave for an additional 1-2 minutes, depending on your microwave's power level, until lightly browned and fragrant.  Be careful, they're hot!

0 comments:

Post a Comment