Turkey Meatballs with a Twist

I love meatballs.

I love their convenient size.  I love the taste, texture...and these days what I especially love about them is they are a great way to stretch a pound of ground meat just a little bit further by adding more and more ingredients to them.

I haven't made them in a while, and my ground meat of choice is chicken.  Of course they were out of it when I was grocery shopping the other day, so I grabbed the turkey instead.  I like to change things up when it comes to my meatballs so we don't get sick of them, and I rarely make them to serve with spaghetti.  That just occurred to me.  I'm not sure why I don't.  This recipe is yet another variation of my evolving meatball.

A note:  the taco sauce is not overpowering in it's flavor.  I made my husband guess the "mystery ingredient"...he couldn't.  Once I told him what it was, he said, "Oh, ok.  I taste it now." 

I apologize in advance for not having any pictures...there was a minor mishap involving my husband and kids outside just as I was getting ready to call them in for dinner, and it was Mommy to the rescue.  Taking pictures of my food was the furthest thing from my mind!  But they looked delicious, I promise!

Turkey Meatballs with a Twist

1 lb ground turkey
1 1/2 c whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 c shredded cheese of your choice (I used a blend of monterey jack and mozzarella)
1 egg
splash of milk
1/4 c mild taco sauce
salt
pepper
onion powder
coriander
cumin
*all spices to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, spray with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients.  Using a small scoop (or tablespoon) to measure, roll meat mixture into small balls.  Place on baking sheet.  Bake 10 minutes, serve hot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment