Creamy Avocado Pasta

In my quest for healthier eating, I've tried to embrace the avocado.  I think the health benefits outweigh the fact that they are high in fat (although it's the healthy kind of fat).  I never even tried avocado until I was an adult, and my first taste of it was less than stellar.  There was a man in my office that would bring one for lunch, slice it open, sprinkle it with salt and pepper, and eat it out of the skin with a spoon.  How easy, I thought.  So I bought one and tried it that way.  It did not make the best first impression.

My next attempt was to make a dip that my daughter might eat as an after-school snack.  I had read a recipe but forgot where I saw it, so I tried to wing it.  I used the avocado, great northern beans, a plum tomato minus the skin, and some spices.  I blended it up in the food processor...and was not impressed.

My cousin is a vegetarian who studies nutrition and dietetics in college, and only eats organic foods.  I talked to her over Easter dinner, and she shared with me a bunch of her recipes.  She said this creamy avocado pasta is one of her favorites, so I thought the third time must be the charm.  It was!  I didn't necessarily use the organic ingredients the recipe called for, but I don't imagine it affected the flavor all that much. It is so tasty, and as the title claims, creamy.  And EASY!  Avocado skeptics of the world, unite!

1 med. avocado, pitted
juice of 1 lemon, plus the zest of half the lemon
2-3 garlic cloves
sea salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 oz of your choice of pasta

Boil your pasta according to the box directions.

Make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice and olive oil into a food processor (or blender).  Process until smooth.  Add in the pitted avocado, salt and pepper.  Process until smooth and creamy.

Pour over hot pasta and toss until fully combined.  Garnish with lemon zest.  Serve immediately.

NOTE: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce.

Original recipe found at http://www.ohsheglows.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment