Rhubarb Squares

Rhubarb rocks.  One of the best things about it is the fact that it's an abundant vegetable...or is it a fruit?...which means there's a lot of it and a lot of different ways to use it up.  My husband brought some home from his parents' house and I'm still trying to use it up.  I found this recipe, which was so tasty it didn't last long enough to get a decent picture of it.  Unfortunately, the picture from the original recipe (on allrecipes.com) does it no justice, and in fact looks kinda gross. 

 
One thing about this recipe that I didn't care for is the thinness of it.  It calls for a 11x7 baking dish, which I think is too big, hence the thinness of it.  I'm absolutely going to make it again, but use a smaller baking dish to thicken it up a bit.  I'm also going to play with the crust a little bit, and if it turns out I will re-post it for you.  I made this recipe almost exactly the way it says...notice I said almost.  I added 2 tablespoons of flax seeds to the crust.  It gave it a little nutty crunch that worked nicely with the rhubarb.  But if you don't have them, don't stress.  I happen to have them on hand because a breakfast bar recipe I've been playing with calls for them.

 
Here it is...enjoy!

 
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar

  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine

  • FILLING:

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 3 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb

    1. In a bowl, combine the flour and confectioners; sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes.
    2. For filling, combine the first four ingredients in a bowl. Stir in rhubarb; pour over warm crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm if desired. Store in the refrigerator.

     

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment